PREPARING FOR SNOW
The Public Works Department is responsible for snow removal in the city. Public Works crews closely monitor weather reports and get the snow plows ready for winter weather events. For any questions about snow removal, call the Department of Public Works at (636) 227-1385.
When snow hits, the city's first priority is to clear arterial roads. By placing the arterial streets on the priority list, emergency vehicles and other motorists will only navigate a few snowy blocks before they reach a plowed road. After the arterial routes have been plowed, crews plow subdivision streets. Click here for City of Manchester Posted Snow Route List.
Not all streets are maintained by city crews. Manchester, HWY 141 and Ladue Rd. are maintained by the Missouri Department of Transportation while Carmen Rd. is maintained by St. Louis County.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP
You can help the Public Works crews by:
- Avoiding parking on the street to allow crews to clear the road from curb to curb. If two or more inches of snow is forecasted, please park in the driveway.
- Removing basketball goals from the curb and right of way.
- Avoiding shoveling the snow from your driveway into the street. If you have a contractor plow your driveway, please make sure they do not push snow into the street.
- Make certain you mailbox pole is sturdy and the box is securely attached. Snow coming off the snowplows can put a heavy force on the posts and deteriorated wood or rusty metal supports may break.
- Try to stay off streets during the periods of heaviest snowfall. Accidents are more likely when visibility is reduced, pavements are slippery, or snow removal operations are underway.
- Give snowplows room to work. Stay at least 100' away from the truck. Although the pavement behind them has been cleared, the pavement in front is covered in ice and snow.