CITIZENS CORPS MEMBERS: Ryan Bandy, Julianne Bandy, Sue Dame, Kim Smith, Leslie Chew, Gerry Engelmeyer
, a vital component of USA Freedom Corps
, was created to help coordinate volunteer activities that will make our communities safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to any emergency situation. It provides opportunities for people to participate in a range of measures to make their families, their homes, and their communities safer from the threats of crime, terrorism, and disasters of all kinds.
Citizen Corps is coordinated nationally by the Department of Homeland Security
. In this capacity, DHS works closely with other federal entities, state and local governments, first responders and emergency managers, the volunteer community, and the White House Office of the USA Freedom Corps
The Citizen Corps effort will be coordinated at the local level by Citizen Corps Councils, or a similar coordinating body, which will bring together leaders from the relevant
CITIZEN CORPS ADVISORS: Officer Dave Ebert, Chief Tim Walsh, Captain Chuck Hunn
sectors of the community. The purpose of the Council is to have all decision makers at the table to manage existing volunteer resources. They will assist local government to:
- promote and strengthen the Citizen Corps programs at the community level, such as Volunteers in Police Service programs, CERT teams, Medical Reserve Corps units, and Neighborhood Watch groups;
- provide opportunities for special skills and interests;
- develop targeted outreach for the community, including special needs groups;
- provide opportunities of training in first aid and emergency preparedness;
- organize special projects and community events;
- encourage cooperation and collaboration among community leaders; and
- capture smart practices and report accomplishments; and
- create opportunities for all residents to participate.