Annexation & Unincorporated Businesses
Owners of Commercial, Industrial, and Institutional properties annexing into the City of Manchester receive similar benefits as residential property owners and access to additional City services and business assistance whether it be through development, expansion, or zoning needs.
Manchester does not intend to change the existing zoning types in the proposed annexation area. The goals for zoning will be:
- Retain the same existing zoning designations (For example, “commercial” zoning will remain “commercial,” “residential zoning will remain “residential,” etc..)
- Cause the least disruption to existing property owners.
- Minimize any non-conformities.
Because the proposed annexation area is mostly built-out, changes to the existing land use are not anticipated. Petitions to rezone will be initiated by the property owner - not the City. Because the proposed annexation area is mostly built-out, there is limited opportunity for new “greenfield” development. Any future development will likely be the redevelopment of existing properties.
Annexation by Manchester will offer several advantages for prospective development.
- Local, Professional City Staff: The Mayor, Economic Development Director, City Administrator, and Department Heads work together to drive economic development for the City. Professional city staff and officials will help ensure that prospective businesses (or existing businesses investing/expanding their facilities) will receive prompt attention. The City’s Economic Development Director and City staff can help ensure that regional economic development strategies (like the ‘STL 2030 Jobs Plan’) are implemented at the local level.
- Local Zoning Decisions: Zoning decisions regarding development will be decided by Manchester instead of St. Louis County. This will benefit the developer/business owner by having local decisions handled in an efficient and timely manner. Residents will also benefit from local zoning decisions. Residents will have greater access to comment on the proposed development to Manchester’s Planning and Zoning Commission and Board of Aldermen.
- Aligning with Residents’ Vision and Expectations for Development: Local plans, such as Manchester’s Comprehensive Plan, allows residents to express their values and vision for the growth of their community. This is a key benefit for residents - the ability to share their voice in local plans and local government. In the future, when Manchester updates its comprehensive plan post-annexation, it will be an opportunity for all residents to create a shared vision for growth.
To discuss specific a site, please contact Todd Streiler, Director of Planning and Zoning at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our business page here.