Online Exchange Zone
With the growing number of online transactions being made every day via Facebook, Craigslist, and other social media outlets, the Manchester Police Department offers a designated public area to conduct these transactions. The Manchester Police Department front lobby and front parking lot offers a public area under 24-hour video surveillance coverage with officers and staff traveling through both areas. Transactions may be completed on the Police Department parking lot or in the Police lobby between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., seven days a week.
Although this area is open for online transactions, please exercise good judgment, as there is no guarantee to the legitimacy of any transaction. Please do not use this area for transactions involving weapons, knifes or firearms, as these are prohibited. Also, it is important to note that items cannot be stored at the Police Department or on the parking lot.
If you use alternate areas for your online transaction, here are some important safety tips for the safest transaction experience possible:
- Always make sure the area the transaction will take place is well-lit and has high quality video surveillance.
- Always conduct transactions with a friend or family member who has a cell phone in case of emergency.
- Always meet in active public areas.
- Always notify a friend or family member of where you are going and how long you expect to be.
- Do not conduct transactions by placing items on your porch, and asking the buyer to leave cash under door mat. This type of transaction brings an unknown person to your doorstep; often when you are not home.
- Remember transactions where funds are transferred or exchanged via reloadable debit or gift cards are untraceable and non-refundable if the transaction is fraudulent.
- If you feel like you are a victim of fraud due to an online transaction, please call the Manchester Police Department at 636-527-9200.